Monday, March 12, 2012

Reflection Paper in Media Ethics Class

Every person is given the power to choose and the power to decide, but because we’re living in a mad world, the hardest part of life is that when we make our choices regardless of its consequences.

In our Media Ethics class, we were oftentimes given an ethical dilemma which then we will try to discern and solve in a way that we were able to weigh all the factors involved to come up with a better decision, most probably the one which will benefit the most.

In the industry that we’re heading to in months time, Media ethics had been a great help for us. Of course we knew that we’ll be surrounded by powerful people and with that, we need not be blinded with all the luxuries that they have to offer. Since we were given plentiful of real situations on where we relate ourselves into and we were able to give objective and conscientious decisions, I can say that we can now face the challenges of the real world.

As a future media practitioner, I am very positive that all the values and learnings that were inculcated to us especially in our lessons regarding the conflict of interest, plagiarism, bias, staging of the story and fabrication will serve as a warning--- that in order for us to stay long in the industry, we mustn’t engage ourselves in doing such stupid acts.

Ever since high school, I already dreamt of being a successful reporter or if more fortunate, a news anchor, but I’m now having doubts if this will happen. As I finished my 200-hour practicum in GMA 7, I was honestly discouraged of being in news because of hearing some staff talking about how hard the job of those who’re working there and if you’re experiencing stress in your programs in public affairs, you must triple the feeling in the news department.

But since I was trained in one of the programs of public affairs as a junior researcher, I am now considering and welcoming the thought of working as one of the production staff. Of course I still want to work in media even if I already know how hard the job may be. I don’t want to waste the four years I spent in the course that I took and become underemployed. I’m not saying that there’s something wrong in being underemployed but it’s just that I don’t want to become one of them.

Also, I consider being a novelist and a composer someday. Actually, I’m passionate in composing songs and writing short stories and I really learned a lot in our discussion about plagiarism. And the strict implementation of “no plagiarising act” in our reflection papers taught us to be more careful in quoting and mentioning our sources because if we’ll commit any mistakes during our job, there’s no tomorrow waiting for us.

Anyway, I just would like to take this opportunity to thank you, Ms. Candice Reyes, for teaching us the fundamentals of Media Ethics and sharing your knowledge and experiences as well. In a way, you helped us shape the values and characters that we should always bring as we enter the new phase of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with all your claims, one of the best think i really learned in this subject, is how to make a more comprehensive and ethical decisions. Through the help of different approaches, it strengthen my decision making skills. Since God gave us one of the most precious gift which is the right of choice, we should use this right ethically!

    ReplyDelete