Tuesday, March 6, 2012

TAKE A STAND! IS IT ETHICAL OR UNETHICAL?

I had a few but interesting conversation with one of the employees at Manila Broadcasting Company. She is Ghel Moreno, a news reporter, writer and researcher for Aksyon Radyo. It was a great privilege for me to conduct an interview with her as regards: Taking a Stand! “Is it Ethical or Unethical?”

From the topics given to us, I have chosen Ethical Video & Audio Editing as the subject of our discussion. It is an interesting topic for me and the same way to her. As part of her profession, she is required to do a special report every Saturday. They are given a certain issue that usually requires people to interview. She has encounter prominent people, government officials and even ordinary people who can contribute to justification of her report.

As we immediately start our discussion, I go straight to the point with my query. I asked her, From the voice clips you are using I your special reports, how do you choose those part of the interview which you will release on-air? And she answered me directly that she goes with what is important and what is needed to be known by the public. She tries to look at all sides of the issue as to avoid being bias. She wants it to be direct to the point to give the immediate information to the listeners. If there are sensitive parts of the interview, she takes it into consideration and making sure that she does not go beyond her limitations.

I also asked her if she ever tried editing or manipulating an audio just to protect someone’s image and reputation? She directly answered me with all conviction that she never attempted to do such. She admitted that she is new in the industry and she wanted to be a credible source of information.

The last thing I asked her is that, How does she practice ethics in her profession and How does she value it? I was mesmerized on how she answered me. She told me that ethics is not simply about on your profession, it’s part of life. She may not be as good as other people in the industry, but she guarantees herself that she is striving hard to be a credible media practitioner. She never attempt to manipulate people through audio editing. She assures that she is giving the right information for the right of the people.

In my own perception from what she have told me, I actually gained positive realizations in life. Media is a tough industry, our character and values as individuals are important aspects in dealing with it. It is not about your job itself, it is also about you as a human being.

I really enjoyed our small conversation. I have learned a lot from her. She was indeed an inspiring person to look at. It has a huge impact on my part since I am also about to enter media industry. I will always remember all the learnings and wisdom she shared with me. J

No comments:

Post a Comment